Laal Gosht Recipe
Loaded with exotic and pungent spices, succulent chunks of mutton are cooked with plenty of Ghee (clarified butter) and infused with a smoky flavour of charcoal, this dish comes straight out of royal kitchens of Rajasthan is not for fainthearted.
- 1 kg Mutton cut into 1-inch pieces
- Soaked Kashmiri red chillies – 6-8 no
- Curd – ½ cup
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Clarified Butter or Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Black cardamoms – 2 no.
- Green cardamoms – 3-4 no.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 3-4 no.
- Bay leaf – 1 no.
- Finely chopped onions – 4 no. medium-sized
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Lemon wedges for garnishing
- Charcoal 2-3 pieces
- Take the soaked chillies in a blender and grind it to a fine paste.
- Now take a large bowl. Add the mutton pieces, curd, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste and red chilli paste.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Take a cling wrap and cover the bowl. Put the bowl set aside for marination for at least 1 hour.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Now add black cardamom, green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Sauté it till its fragrant. (Make sure to keep the flame low or the whole spices will burn).
- Now add the onions and sauté till it turns light brown. Add the remaining ginger-garlic paste and sauté it the mixture for another minute.
- Now add the marinated mutton and sauté it on high flame for a minute or two.
- Add salt and sufficient water covering all the mutton pieces.
- Cover with a lid and pressure cook it for 20-25 minutes on medium flame. Turn off the flame once it is done.
- Meanwhile, light a piece of charcoal and place it in a small metal bowl. Now place the bowl in the centre of cooked curry. Add two to three cloves to the coal, pour some ghee and quickly cover the vessel for two to three minutes.
- Now turn on the heat and add garam masala. Give a quick stir before removing from the heat.
- Transfer the curry to the serving bowl, garnish it with cilantro and a lemon wedge.
- Serve hot with paratha or rice.