Chhole Masala is a tangy and spicy chickpea curry that is sure to bring a flavour of Amritsari street food right into your home. This invigorating, rich, spicy dish will cause a flavours riot and tastes best with a variety of Indian bread like bhature, Puri, butter naan and even aloo tiki.
- Cooked chickpeas (Chhole) – 2 cups
- Finely chopped red onion – 2 No.
- Tomato puree – ½ cup
- Chhole masala powder – 2 tbsp
- Dried pomegranate seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Slit and deseeded green chilies – 1 -2 No.
- Tamarind Paste – ½ tsp
- Cooking oil – 3 tsp
- Bay leaf – 4 No.
- Black cardamom – 3-4 No.
- Cloves – 5-6 No.
- Dried mango powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Crushed kasuri methi – 2 tbsp
- Ginger julienne – 5-6 Pieces
- Black tea bags soaked 3-4 minutes in ½ cup steaming hot water – 2 bags
- Onion rings – 5-6
- Heat oil in a pan. Now add bay leaves, black cardamom, and cloves to the oil. Sauté the whole spices for a few seconds. Once, the spice start releasing its aroma, add onions and sauté it for 5 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
- Now add tomato puree, salt, green chilies and red chili powder. Mix it well and cover it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chana masala powder, dried mango powder, pomegranate seeds, sugar, tamarind paste and mix well. Remove the tea bags and add water to the sauce. Mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add cooked chickpeas, kasuri methi, sliced ginger and mix well. Add water if needed. Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Add sliced onions, and mix well.
- Chhole Masala are ready.