How to Prepare Finger-Licking Good Shahi Murgh at Home?
Almost every meat eater will vouch for chicken dishes! Whether it’s roasted chicken or deep-fried chicken nuggets, this meat is the life of every party. Light on the stomach and sans unhealthy fats, chicken is known for its adaptive and versatile taste that easily blends will all kinds of spices.
If you are a chicken-lover, here’s a delicious surprise for you! Treat your family (and your taste buds) with a scrumptious, mild but distinctly flavoured Shahi Murgh.
Get ready to note the ingredients and recipe for Shahi Murgh!
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger & garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
Paste for Curry
- Almonds – 10 No.
- Cashew nuts – 10 No.
- Poppy seeds – 1/2 tbsp (Optional)
- Grated fresh coconut – 2 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp
- Dried bay leaf – 2 No.
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Caraway seeds/shahi jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Large onions – 4 No.
- Large tomato – 1 No.
- Ginger & garlic paste -2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves – 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh yogurt – 1 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Water as required
- Take a big bowl. Add chicken pieces, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Mix well and coat chicken pieces properly, so the spice mixture can seep. Cover the bowl with a cling sheet and keep it aside for marination. If you can marinate the chicken overnight, it is better!
- Now soak almonds, cashew nuts, poppy seeds for 10 – 12 min in warm water. Peel almonds. Now take soaked almonds, cashews, poppy seeds, coconut, 2-3 tbsp of water (if required) in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
- Take a thick bottom pan. Now add oil. Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, caraway seeds and fennel seeds.
Note: Keep the flame low.
- Once the whole spices start crackling, add onions and ginger garlic paste. Saute until onion turns light brown and soft. Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix well and saute it for a minute on medium flame.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix well. Cook the chicken for next 10-12 minutes on low flame. Make sure you keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Cook the chicken till the oil starts leaving the sides. It’s time to add chopped tomato. Mix well till the tomato gets mushy.
- Add the almond-cashew paste and mix well. Cover the vessel and cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Add yogurt and salt. You can add water to give the curry a bit of liquid consistency.
- Cook the mixture on a slow flame, till the curry start releasing oil from the sides.
- Add garam masala powder. Take dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri methi in your palm and gently crush it and add it to the curry. Let the curry simmer on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Transfer shahi murgh in a serving bowl. Serve hot with rice or naan.