Beat Lockdown Blues with This Restaurant Style Punjabi Malai Kofta Recipe
The rise of the novel Coronavirus has made many countries, including Australia, to impose nationwide lockdown to contain its spread.
A majority population is now confined to the four walls of their home, which have given an opportunity to explore new skills and spend quality time with your family.
Cooking for your family can provide you pleasure and joy that can beat the lockdown blues.
If you are a cooking enthusiast and trying out new recipes; this easy recipe of Punjabi Malai Kofta is your thing.
This melt-in -your-mouth texture of this dish will leave your taste buds pleased and satiate. Cottage cheese dumplings are stuffed with cashews and raisins and then dipped in a creamy, tangy and spicy curry.
Ingredients For Malai Kofta Recipe
- Grated Paneer/Cottage Cheese – 200 gms
- Potato (boiled, peeled, mashed) – 1 cup
- Corn starch (aka corn flour) – 1.5 tbsp
- Cashews and Raisins – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
- Onion Paste – 2 No.
- Tomato – 3 No.
- Ginger – 1.5 inch
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Bay Leaf – 2 no.
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 small stick
- Cloves – 2 No.
- Green cardamom – 2 No.
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi – half a tsp
- Oil or Butter
- Heavy whipped cream (fresh malai)
- Salt to taste
- Take onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, cashews, and water in a saucepan. Turn the heat on medium flame. Let it simmer for 15 mins.
- Let the mix cool down. Put it into a blender and blend it into smooth paste. Save it for later
- Now take a pan and heat oil or butter on medium heat. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick. Fry for 40 seconds till it starts releasing aroma.
- Add the paste in the pan. Sprinkle salt and let it cook till its moisture evaporates and starts leaving the sides.
- Add red chilli powder and coriander powder. Now mix well and cook it for a while.
- Put water and cook it on low flame. Cook it till it gets a semi-solid consistency. Now add kasoori methi and garam masala. Mix well. The curry is ready. Keep it aside.
- To make Kofta, take paneer, mashed potato, corn scratch, garam masala, cashews , raisins and salt. Mix well with your hand and knead it into dough.
- Divide it into 12 equal portions and make smooth balls. Meanwhile, heat oil on medium flame in a pan for deep frying.
- Fry the koftas till they turn brown and crispy. Put it on paper towels to soak excess oil.
- Take heavy cream in a bowl. Dip the fried koftas and coat it properly. To serve the dish, pour curry in a bowl. Now put the fried and cream-coated koftas in curry.
Serve with Paratha or Naan.